Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday Update

New Look!

I like orange!

New Inspiration

After re-reading CJBearmans documentation, I better understand the challenges with this project. I'm on the right track, as the library needs 3 more digital pins to better control the Xbee. (I wound up using Arduino Pin 5 for RESET, Pin 6 for ATN, and Pin 8 for DOUT.) Since the Xbee's designed to run at 3.3v and my Arduino Uno uses 5v, I believe I may have fried this Xbee radio.

Some drunken fool (possibly myself) scribbled out an idea on my whiteboard last night. I was eventually going to see if a TI MSP430 could handle both hosting a webpage and running an Xbee, but only after I got it all working on the Arduino. The MSP430 is a much smaller, cheaper development kit than the Arduino Uno, and its 3.3v processors run much slower -- 12MHz (or even 1Mhz) vs the 80Mhz processor in the Uno. But the processors cost about 1/10th as much as the Atmel processors inside the Arduino Uno, which is important for production. And someone has created Energia, an open-source copycat of the open-source Arduino compiler -- meaning we can literally run the same code on both processors. This means I can take all of the code with which I've been working on the Arduino and simply keep working in Energia (after importing CJBearmans XbeeWifi library into the other program)

So tomorrow I'll again be "Frankensteining" together 2 devices that aren't designed to work together. Isn't development fun?!?

Kickstarter

One main goal of this project has been to crowdfund with Kickstarter to start a (small or large) company.  I will have more information about this part of the project later this week.

GilgaTech

I've always planned for this page to be a workshop notebook, mainly focused on this company I'm learning to build. I've decided to launch Gilgamech's Technologies for my more general-purpose technology thoughts and pursuits.

2 comments:

  1. Did you really fry a xbee? I see you have:
    http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWirelessShield
    As long as it was on that it should be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using that shield, but I was also running wires from the Arduino's digital out pins to the Xbee, so the XbeeWifi library could control the Xbee. Those pins provide 5v, more than the Xbee's 3.3v and it's why CJBearman says to use precautions.

      I don't actually know if the radio is fried -- it's hard to tell because both Xbee radios only work half the time anyway. I'm not sure if it's the wireless shield or the Xbee itself, but I'm going to use different radios for future projects

      Delete